Emergency Vets

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Chamber_Graphic[1]

North Shore Veterinary Emergency is proud to be the only certified clinic in New Zealand for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a specialist form of treatment combining the medicinal benefits of 100% oxygen and increased atmospheric pressure system.

What is it?

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a specialist form of treatment that combines the medicinal benefits of 100% oxygen and increased atmospheric pressure. Using the hyperbaric oxygen treatment, oxygen is dissolved in the plasma, CNS fluid and lymph nodes of the patient, rather than being transported through the body by red blood cells alone. This oxygen is infused into areas of compromised blood supply, aiding the reduction of swelling, killing bacteria and allowing the body to support its own healing process.

FAQs

Hyperbaric oxygen treatment is used to reduce swelling and inflammation of tissue. Its main advantage is that it stimulates blood vessel formation and improves control of infection by getting oxygen to areas that it wouldn’t typically reach in normal atmospheric conditions.

Your pet can be referred to us through your specialist or day clinic veterinary surgeon. Alternatively you can arrange a consultation with our Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy team via phone or email.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is used to treat many medical conditions with great results, including:

  • Necrotising pancreatitis
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • CNS injury and disease
  • Non-healing wounds
  • Anaphylaxis
  • Carbon monoxide toxicity
  • Sepsis
  • Near drowning
  • Thromboembolism

North Shore Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care at 96B Ellice Road, Glenfield, Auckland

We have had many memorable cases.

Rufus, a black Labrador, was filmed at our practice by TV3 Newshub. He was suffering from vestibular syndrome and discospondylitis. After receiving hyperbaric oxygen treatment with us he made a full recovery.

Lincoln, a snow lynx Bengal, was brought to us by his owner and the police on following a terrible house fire on the North Shore. Thanks to the hyperbaric oxygen chamber, Lincoln was able to get oxygen back into his system, reversing the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning from the house fire and saving his life.

Tiny Timmy, the kitten, was brought to us with a massive hole through his leg, terrible inflammation in his foot and compromised blood supply. After hyperbaric oxygen treatment, Timmy made a full recovery.